- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 box cook-and-serve (non-instant) vanilla pudding
- 2 c. sour cream
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 c. semi-sweet chocolate, grated or chocolate chips
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 c. powdered sugar, divided
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 2-3 tbsp. milk or heavy cream, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, pudding, sour cream, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer. Begin on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened; then beat on medium for 2-3 minutes until well mixed. Gently fold in chocolate chips and pour into well-greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan for 20 minutes before icing.
- For frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk butter on medium until smooth. Add salt. Add half of powdered sugar, 1 c. at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and peppermint extract. Beat in 1 tbsp. of milk or cream. Add remaining sugar 1 c. at a time. Add additional milk/cream until frosting reaches desired consistency. If piping on cupcakes, it should be thick.
- Ice cupcakes by hand, or pipe with an extra-large plain round or star tip.