• 1 beef flank or skirt steak (1-1/2 pounds)
• 2 small onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
• 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into quarters
• 12 small flour tortillas (6- to 7-inch diameter), warmed
• Salt and pepper
• 1 package (about 1.25 ounces) fajita seasoning mix
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1-1/2 cups prepared tomatillo salsa
• 1 large avocado, diced
• 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/2 cup minced white onion
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steak and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
2. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange onions and bell peppers around steak. Grill flank steak, uncovered, 17 to 21 minutes (skirt steak 10 to 13 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill vegetables 13 to 16 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally.
3. Meanwhile combine Avocado Salsa ingredients in medium bowl. Set aside.
4. Carve flank steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin slices. (Carve skirt steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.) Cut bell peppers into 1/2-inch strips; coarsely chop onions. Place steak slices on tortillas; top with vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with Avocado Salsa.
Makes 6 servings.
We featured this recipe in the August|September 2015 issue of Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation’s Rural Route. Photo and recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Beef Council.