• 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
• 1 cup onion, chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, minced (bottled minced garlic is OK)
• 3 (14.5-oz.) cans chicken broth
• 8 cups peeled butternut squash, cut in 1-inch pieces
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• ½ cup heavy cream
1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft.
2. Add chicken broth and squash, and simmer until squash is very tender. A fork should go through easily.
3. Let cool slightly. Use immersion blender and puree soup in the pot. Alternatively, puree soup in blender and return to pot. If soup seems too thick, add a little more chicken broth. Add herbs, sugar, salt and cream, and stir well. Serve warm.
4. To make one day ahead, chill the soup and rewarm over medium heat before serving.