1. Boil the water and melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Once a rolling boil has been achieved reduce heat to low and stir in flour.
2. Vigorously stir until dough forms into a ball easily; about 1 minute.
3. Take the dough off the stove. Mix in the eggs and bourbon immediately.
4. Heat oven to 400°F. Take 1/4 cup scoops of dough and place them on an ungreased baking sheet 3 inches apart.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Cool for at least 30 minutes away from a draft.
Ingredients for Bourbon cream
• 1 quart heavy whipping cream
• 1/4 cup powdered sugar
• 1 T J. Henry Bourbon
1. Whip all ingredients in stand mixer on high till stiff peaks are achieved or until the whipped cream maintains its shape while being gently shaken.
2. Slice the top off the cooled puffs.
3. Pull out the doughy strands inside and discard them. Spoon bourbon cream into the bottoms.
4. Replace tops on matching bottoms. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Yields 10 to 12.
J. Henry and Sons Bourbon was featured in the October|November 2015 issue of Rural Route. Recipe provided courtesy of Pokey’s Smoke on the Water. Photo by Marian Viney.