- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 c. celery, chopped
- ¼ c. butter
- 5 c. potatoes, cubed and peeled
- 3 c. water
- 3 c. 2% milk, divided
- 4 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 4 c. (16 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ lb. bacon, sliced, cooked and crumbled
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in 2 c. milk, bouillon, salt and pepper. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese and bacon; stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 2½ quarts).
We featured this recipe in the February|March 2017 issue of Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation’s Rural Route. Photo and recipe courtesy of the Patti Roden, WFBF District 1 Coordinator.