Directions for the Puffs
- Boil the water and melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once a rolling boil has been achieved reduce heat to low and stir in flour.
- Vigorously stir until dough forms into a ball easily; about 1 minute.
- Take the dough off the stove. Mix in the eggs and bourbon immediately.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Take 1/4 c.scoops of dough and place them on an ungreased baking sheet 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Cool for at least 30 minutes away from a draft.
Ingredients for Bourbon Cream
• 1 quart heavy whipping cream
• 1/4 c. powdered sugar
• 1 Tbsp. J. Henry Bourbon
Directions for the Bourbon Cream
- Whip all ingredients in a stand mixer on high till stiff peaks are achieved or until the whipped cream maintains its shape while being gently shaken.
- Slice the top off of the cooled puffs.
- Pull out the doughy strands inside and discard them. Spoon bourbon cream into the bottoms.
- Replace tops on matching bottoms. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Yields 10 to 12.
J. Henry and Sons Bourbon was featured in the October|November 2015 issue of Rural Route. Recipe provided courtesy of Pokey’s Smoke on the Water. Photo by Marian Viney.