3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup warm mashed
Wisconsin potatoes (nothing added)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup cherry pie filling (from 21 oz. can)
2 tablespoons butter
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Separate eggs into two medium size mixing bowls. Greese and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Combine flour, soda, salt, and cocoa. Set aside.
2. Add 1/2 cup sugar and potatoes to egg yolks. Beat at high speed 2 to 3 minutes or until light. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, almond, and 1/4 cup water. Beat just until combined.
3. With clean beater, beat egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until they hold stiff peaks. Gently fold into egg yolk mixture. Fold in flour mixture.
4. Divide mixture equally in prepared pans. Bake for about 15 minutes or until firm when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack before removing from pans. Cool completely.
5. To prepare filling combine cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, and remaining almond extract. Whip. Fold in cherry filling. Spread filling over one cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer. Chill while preparing glaze.
6. To prepare glaze, combine butter, chocolate, and remaining water in small heavy saucepan. Heat over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Beat in remaining powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
7. Spoon glaze over top of cake allowing some to run down the sides. Chill. Before serving garnish with additional whipped cream and cherries if desired.
We featured this recipe in the October/November 2013 issue of Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation’s Rural Route. Photos and recipes courtesy of the Wisconsin Potato & Vegetable Growers Association.