3/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. warm mashed Wisconsin potatoes (nothing added)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. whipping cream
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 c. cherry pie filling (from 21 oz. can)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
3 Tbsp. water
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Separate eggs into two medium-size mixing bowls. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Combine flour, soda, salt and cocoa. Set aside.
- Add 1/2 c. sugar and potatoes to egg yolks. Beat at high speed 2 to 3 minutes or until light. Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla, almond and 1/4 c. water. Beat just until combined.
- With clean beater, beat egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 c. sugar, beating until they hold stiff peaks. Gently fold into egg yolk mixture. Fold in flour mixture.
- Divide mixture equally into prepared pans. Bake for about 15 minutes or until firm when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack before removing from pans. Cool completely.
- To prepare filling combine cream, 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar, and remaining almond extract. Whip. Fold in cherry filling. Spread filling over one cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer. Chill while preparing glaze.
- To prepare glaze, combine butter, chocolate, and remaining water in a small heavy saucepan. Heat over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Beat in remaining powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Spoon glaze over top of cake allowing some to run down the sides. Chill. Before serving garnish with additional whipped cream and cherries if desired.